Who Can Become a Member?

Every state may have a Medicaid program. In California, Medicaid is called Medi-Cal.

You qualify for L.A. Care because you qualify for Medi-Cal and live in Los Angeles County.

If you have questions about your Medi-Cal coverage or about when you need to renew your Medi-Cal, please call the Los Angeles Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) at 1-866-613-3777.

You might also qualify for Medi-Cal through Social Security because you are receiving SSI or SSP. 

For questions about enrollment, visit the DHS Health Care Options website or call 1-800-430-4263 (TTY: 1-800-430-7077 or 711).

For questions about Social Security, visit the Social Security Administration website or call 1-800-772-1213.

Transitional Medi-Cal

Transitional Medi-Cal is also called "Medi-Cal for working people." You may be able to get Transitional Medi-Cal if you stop getting Medi-Cal because:

  • You started earning more money.
  • Your family started receiving more child or spousal support.

You can ask questions about qualifying for Transitional Medi-Cal at your local County Health and Human Services Office. Or call Health Care Options at 1-800-430-4263 (TTY: 1-800-430-7077 or 711).