The way you get L.A. Care Medi-Cal services is changing. You will get your Medi-Cal Long Term Services and Supports (LTSS) from L.A. Care starting on April 1, 2014. The reason for this change is to help your benefits and services work better together.
What are Long Term Services and Supports and what is the role of the L.A. Care Medi-Cal health plan?
Managed Long-Term Services and Supports (MLTSS)
We've created a checklist below to help you understand if you qualify for MLTSS. If you answer "Yes" to one or more of these questions, MLTSS may be able to help you. Call us at 1-855-427-1223 to find out how to access these benefits.
- Do you need help at home with personal care, cleaning or shopping?
- Do you take more than five prescribed medications?
- Do you need someone to go with you to the doctor?
- Have you fallen two or more times in the past three months?
- Do you live alone and have no family support?
- Do you feel it's getting harder to pay your health care bills?
- Have you gone to the emergency room two or more times in the last year?
You do not need to reside in a nursing facility or some other institutional facility to receive these benefits. These services can be provided in your home or assisted living facility.
MLTSS are services that help people at home and in their community. MLTSS is made up of seven service areas including:
- In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) are personal care services for people who need help to live safely in their homes. If you currently get IHSS, you do not have to change your IHSS providers, and you can still hire, fire, and manage your providers. There will be no change in how your provider is paid.
- Community-Based Adult Services (CBAS) is daytime health care at centers that provide nursing, therapy, activities and meals for people with certain chronic health conditions. If you get CBAS, nothing will change.
- Multipurpose Senior Services Program (MSSP) provides social and health care coordination services for people ages 65 and older. If you currently get MSSP, you do not have to change your MSSP provider.
- Nursing home care: Long-Term Care (LTC) Nursing Facility services are available if you get care in a nursing home, your health plan will work with your doctor and nursing home to better coordinate your care. If you are currently in a nursing home, you do not have to change your nursing home.
- Access to community services:
MLTSS staff can help find the right community programs for you. Examples include: â¢ Help with food, utility discounts and transportation.
If you are already getting one or more of these services, you do not need to do anything. You will still get these services as you do today. This notice is for your information only.
Should you ever qualify for any Long Term Services and Supports, they will be covered by your L.A. Care Medi-Cal health plan.
This change helps your L.A. Care Medi-Cal health plan to better coordinate your medical and Long Term Services and Supports together. If you have questions about IHSS, call your IHSS social worker at the county social services office. They know about this change and can help you. If you have questions about this notice or your services, call your Medi-Cal health plan.