Advance Directives

An advance health directive is a legal form.
You can list on the form:

  • The health care you want in case you cannot talk or make decisions later.
  • What care you do not want.
  • Name someone, such as a spouse, to make decisions for your health care if you cannot.

You can get an advance directive form at pharmacies, hospitals, law offices and doctors’ offices. You might have to pay for the form. You can also find and download a free form online.
You can ask your family, PCP or someone you trust to help you fill out the form.

You have the right:

  • To have your advance directive placed in your medical records.
  • To change or cancel your advance directive at any time.
  • To learn about changes to advance directive laws.  L.A. Care will tell you about changes to the state law no longer than 90 days after the change.

To learn more, you can call L.A. Care Member Services at 1-888-839-9909 (TTY: 711).