When March was designated National Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month in 1987, a proclamation called for people to provide “citizens with such disabilities both encouragement and the opportunities they need to lead productive lives and to achieve their full potential.” As a health plan committed to health equity, L.A. Care is hosting a webinar this week to help further that mission.
The virtual webinar, titled Reaching Common Ground: My Ability Is Stronger Than My Disability, will feature social justice and disability rights advocates discussing work being done to improve the lives of people with developmental disabilities. Attendees will have a chance to ask questions of the advocates, some of them L.A. Care members, who have lived experience, and want to raise awareness about the barriers many people with disabilities face. By understanding such barriers, we can all work to create communities that are more inclusive.
The panelists include:
• Deaka McClain, MPA, Disability Social Justice Advocate and L.A. Care member
• Richard Hernandez, Systems Change Advocate, Disabled Resource Center, Inc. and L.A. Care member
The lived experience participants are:
• Felicia Ford, Disabilities Advocate
• Ismael Maldonado, Disabilities Rights & Special Education Advocate and L.A. Care member
• Gladys Alvarez, L.A. Care member
The webinar is:
Thursday, March 30, 2023
10:00 am – 12:00 pm
Via Zoom: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89106121742#success
Via WebEx Call in: 415-655-0002 I Access Code: 2495 970 4030