Quality Improvement Program
We are committed to quality. This leads us to create programs and services to meet the needs of our members and providers. L.A. Care wants to make sure you are getting the best health care. This is called Quality Improvement. Each year the quality improvement program looks at care, safety, and the services you get. This tells us what we are doing well or may need to change. This is also a way to measure our progress toward making sure you are getting the best health care. The program helps you get better and/or stay healthy by helping you get needed tests, shots, and needed care for diseases such as asthma, heart disease, and diabetes. You can see some of our results on the links provided.
Here are some of our efforts to make sure you get the best health care:
- Our goal is to do better than what is expected from us.
- We track the health care services that you get through a survey of our doctors called HEDIS®.
- We ask how well we serve you through a member survey every year called CAHPS®.
Each year, we make changes to improve the health care you get by starting new projects.
Some of the things we measure include:
- Appointment availability
- After-hours services
- How long patients wait in the office for an appointment
- Facility site reviews includes looking at access for disabled people
- Making sure the network of doctors in your area fits your needs
- Member satisfaction surveys
- Doctor satisfaction surveys
- Quality of care studies to assure appropriate:
- Well child visits
- Cervical cancer screening
- Breast cancer screening
- Diabetes Care
- Asthma Care
- High Blood pressure
- Prenatal and postpartum care
The 2018 Quality Improvement Goals are:
- Improve Quality of Care
- Monitor and Improve Patient Safety
- Improve Member Satisfaction
- Provide Culturally Linguistically Appropriate Services
- Improve the Delivery of Care for Persons with Complex Health Care Needs
- Provide a Network of High Quality Providers and Practitioners
- Monitor and Improve Behavioral Healthcare
- Meet Regulatory and Other Health Plan Requirements
- Monitor Quality of Care in Long Term Care Nursing Facilities
- Provide Evidence Based Model of Care
- Community Based Adult Services Facilities
We use a number of tools each year to help us determine how we’re doing. These include the Healthcare Effectiveness Data and Information Set (HEDIS®) and the Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) survey.
These measure quality of care and services and show us where to focus. HEDIS measures the quality of many types of care and service, and is used by nearly all American health plans. CAHPS is a survey that measures how happy members are with their doctors, their care and their health plan. We use these results to help us better our service.
L.A. Care takes your concerns seriously. We want to give you and your family the best care and services.
Star ratings are used to compare Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plans to help you make informed choices about your health care. Ratings focus on patient care and satisfaction, using national clinical and service-quality measures, health outcomes and patient feedback.